Saturday, July 19, 2008

Market Day 7/19/08

Welcome to my local foods blog! I love my city and I love the food we have here. My husband and I have made a commitment to eat as locally as possible, and thus we frequent at least one farmer's market per week. Our favorite is Saturday mornings at the Bardstown Road Market. It's become not just a shopping trip, but a social affair. We usually see at least one person that we know, and most Saturdays we see our doula and her family. I firmly believe that this socializing is just as important as the food that we buy. This is how food buying, and eating, was meant to be. But more about that later.

Right now I want to talk about what we found at the market today! Today's market purchases included:

one large bunch of basil
one bunch of garlic scapes
two Anaheim peppers
one sweet banana pepper
two large golden zucchini
five peaches
seven apples
seven onions
2.5 pounds honey
one pound beef spareribs

Approximate cost $35

Doesn't it all look delicious?
And this week's favorite picture...

What am I going to DO with all of this?

-sundried tomato basil pesto
-stuffed zucchini
-apple crisp
-peach ice crean
-barbecued ribs

Stay tuned ...

No comments: